un·as·sum·ing

Pronunciation:
\ˌən-ə-ˈsü-miŋ\
Function:
adjective
Date:
1722
: not assuming : modest unassuming librarian> unassuming manner> unassuming neighborhood>
un·as·sum·ing·ness noun

Thursday, August 6, 2009

UNASSUMING SPOT #4


Auntie Em's Kitchen (Eagle Rock)

Ok, so I was having a "bonding day" with my mother in her new hood of Eagle Rock and have to admit I was skeptical when she raved about this fabulous restaurant she "discovered." I was more than a little surprised when we parked at this adorable cafe with a line out the door and tables outside full of chatting patrons. We are led past a heavenly dessert case (and by heavenly I mean I was instantly willing to sell my soul for any one of the cakes/brownies/cookies - hey, don't judge me unless you've smelled the sugary goodness for yourself) and weave past packed tables with gourmet looking dishes (where I found myself drooling over plates of delicious open-faced sandwiches with eggs on top; delectable pancakes; huge salads, oh waiter, please bring me one of everything stat). Our table is located on the quaint back patio making it feel like we've stepped outside of LA for a nice mini break if you will. The waiter informs us they shop daily at local farmer's markets insuring the food is fresh and organic; the menu changing with the seasons and the prices surprisingly affordable. I had the most divine honey orange french toast covered with piles of amazing strawberries, raspberries and blueberries and yes I also got a red velvet cupcake to go… for the curious, I can confirm it was eternal damnation worthy! You know a restaurant is a new staple when you’re already planning your next meal as you walk to your car dessert in hand.

Unassuming Food Enthusiasts Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment